Monday, August 4, 2008

Profile #2: The Cynic

THE CYNIC

His cynicism masks his insecurity. He fears to jump into the tumultuous underground muck, so instead he raises himself in his mind to a position of superiority. His writing isn't better than theirs, only more polished, more refined. More cautious.

He lurks upon the margins of the underground because he disdains even more the writers of the mainstream. He's seen THEM up close. He knows they're fakes. The Cynic loathes their conformity, of career and of ideas, and so what alternative is there but the Rebellion?

He can join no cause because the very idea of belief in a cause is to him a sign of inferiority. His cynicism tells him it can't be done. And so it won't be done. He's not a contender, because he dismisses the competition.

Always the outsider-- his cynicism is bolstered by being even more of an outsider than the rebels. He remains outside even their ranks-- their crude mob-- floating in a literary netherworld of no decision, no risk, no responsibility; self-image preserved, like a white t-shirt kept forever spotlessly clean.

3 comments:

Ann Sterzinger said...

Karl, you should Google Diogenes. This profile is amusing, but cynics get such a distorted presentations these centuries.

I've been neglecting my blog, but I noticed you wanted a review of G-Force! I sadly neglected to do that too, but as you may have guessed I saw the movie three times. I would have seen it a 4th, but since the Reader jettisoned all their proofreaders their movie showtimes are useless -- they told me to show up an hour late. See, we did serve a function besides being foppish and snotty! I miss that job. I should have never left, but I guess I would still be on the outs by this point anyway, and now thanks to the University of Southern Illinois, I can be irritating in several additional tongues. AAAAAAANNNNNyway, I was enthralled by the movie, but not because the script was particularly good. Just put talking guinea pigs on fast vehicles and you render me incapable of critical distance. The guy who played the guinea pigs' impresario used to be a bar pianist in Chicago; his rise to relative prominence makes me happy, even if The Hangover was uneven. There ya go, two movie reviews for the price of one. I even threw in some crappy self-gossip.

Ann Sterzinger said...

I just tried to post a long comment and Blogspot ate it. Long story short: google Diogenes, old bean; you're distorting cynicism. (I think I just invented a band name.) Also, I just checked my own blog for the first time in months and noticed that you wanted a review of G-Force. As you may have guessed I saw it multiple times, but not because the script was oh so great: just put talking furry short-legged creatures on cool stunt vehicles and you've short-circuited my critical distance.

Ann Sterzinger said...

Although to tell you the truth, your understanding of cynics is quite a bit better finessed than that of most purveyors of easy sarcasm.